Friday, June 09, 2006

Can you believe this?

Jordan persuades "MySpace" girl to go home


"A 16-year-old Michigan girl who authorities say tricked her parents into getting her a passport and then flew off to the Mideast to be with a West Bank man she met on MySpace.com headed for home on Friday"


"U.S. officials in Jordan persuaded her to turn around and go home before she reached the West Bank."

You're kidding me right? This 14 year old decided to go all the way to the West Bank to meet a supposed 25 year old and almost did it? So I've learned a) Katie will never be allowed on those type of sites b) she will never know my credit card number (how did this kid buy a ticket??) and c) no passport until she's going somewhere with me and after that the damn thing is hidden where she can't get to it. Jeez. Unbelievable. I wouldn't know whether to hug her or smack her upside the head when her plane touched down back home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that the parents are somewhat clueless and underestimated what their daughter was capable of doing. The one parents comment "I just don't understand with all these new laws protecting America how a 16 year old kid could get out of the country?" Well duh.... you got her the passport. I'm with you on this one Mary. Cheyanne will never have an account on one of those sites either. And maybe the girl's parents gave her the money for the ticket since she said she was flying to Canada with a friend.

Mary said...

Debbie, if Cheyanne at 14 were going to go on a trip out of the country (and I realize in Detroit it may seem like Canada is not really out of the country) wouldn't you be talking to her friend's parents? Betcha would! :)

Anonymous said...

Mary, you would win that bet. Something I didn't think of. So then we still ponder the question...How did she get a plane ticket?? Hmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Mary, you won't have that problem. I doubt you will EVER underestimate what Katie is capable of. :)