Monday, July 16, 2007

I'm so annoyed, I might have to give the order....

Iowa Court needs a lesson in justice


I am beside myself with the injustice displayed in this Iowa court. I will be writing to anyone that I can think of about this one. Complete stupidity. Apparently in Iowa, if you are defending yourself on your own property (or in this case your brother's) and the assailant is well connected, you become the assailant and are sentenced to 5 YEARS in prison.

This isn't the whole article, and it is worth the rest of the read to click on the link. I hope that his appeal works, this just sounds so impossibly wrong it makes me seeth.
"In an Iowa criminal case that smells of a thousand hogs, a young Chicago police officer was sentenced last week to 5 years in prison for defending himself against an attack by two large, drunken men, even though he testified that he repeatedly tried avoiding a fight.

There is a U.S. Department of Justice office in Iowa. What is happening to Chicago police officer Michael Mette bears some serious federal inquiry.

Dubuque District Court Judge Monica Ackley agrees Mette was attacked, he tried to avoid conflict, two large men hounded him down the street, and one of them got into Mette's face and began pushing him, repeatedly, before Mette threw one punch and knocked the guy out.

Still, she's sentencing this young Chicago cop to prison, she wrote, because that's the law in Iowa.

Mette has no clout in Dubuque. But Dubuque is a small town, and the intoxicated man's daddy is a boss in a giant Iowa trucking company."

5 comments:

Libby said...

oh, what a bunch of you-know-what, mary!! i'm being tame here cuz of katie maybe reading it. if you ask me, the guy's lucky he didn't get shot!! off with his head!!

Anonymous said...

That is a total load of "crap". Just goes to show you that if your daddy is a big person in a small town, you can do ANYTHING. There is no "justice" anymore, so why should Iowa be any different! Thank you, I now need a sedative since my blood pressure is up so high! :)

Mary said...

Libby, when I said I may have to give the order, I KNEW you would know what that meant. :)

Becky, my blood pressure was up pretty high when I heard about this too. And I know his ex-girlfriend who swears he has never hit a person in his life and was always the guy trying to talk everyone down.

Anonymous said...

Oh no kidding! Well, so you "kind of" know him?

Mary said...

Well, I don't know him. I know his ex. I'm going to keep track of this though. He's doing alot of interviews and the CPD has a fund going for him, so hopefully his appeal will work. There are quite a few places to write to to complain about the initial verdict and I may do that also. I just feel sorry for the guy.