Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

One of my favorite days in the Christian calendar of events.  I try to take at least part of the day off on Good Friday to be able to read, reflect and honor our Lord who willingly died for us.  Today I have the whole day to consider this event, but a day, even a lifetime, is not enough time to wrap my head around what Christ did for us.  Did he want to die?  I think he was struggling with his humanity at the end.  He knew he had to fulfill the scriptures and was willing to obey his Father at all costs.   

Matthew 26:36-46 shows us Jesus' turmoil and suffering.  38 He told them, "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death."  39 He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, "My Father! If it is possible,let this cup of suffering be taken away from me.  Yet I want your will to be done, not mine."  42 "My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done."  Heartbreaking.  Part of me wants him to be released from this obligation when I read this, I don't want to see someone so beloved by me suffer.  But, of course, the other part of me knows that he has to go through with it - for me.  If he didn't all would be lost.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16   He died for us before we were born, while we were still sinners, because we were sinners.  And I thank and praise Him for that.


No comments: