Friday, April 22, 2011

"It is finished."

By this time it was noon, and darkness fell across the whole land until three o'clock.  The light from the sun was gone.  And suddenly, the curtain in the sanctuary of the Temple was torn down the middle.  Then Jesus shouted, "Father, I entrust my spirit into your hands!"  And with those words he breathed his last.

When the Roman  officer overseeing the execution saw what had happened, he worshiped God and said, "Surely this man was innocent."  And when the crowd that came to see the crucifixion saw  what had happened, they went  home in deep sorrow.  Matthew 23:44-49

I decided today to watch The Passion of the Christ.  I have owned the movie for a while, but have not watched it mainly because I didn't want to see what I knew would be a realistic portrayal of a crucifixion.  I've read the history of them and what exactly went into a crucifixion but reading words and viewing an image, no matter how good your imagination, are two different things. And I remembered how just reading about the crucifixion felt.

I definitely felt deep sorrow while watching this, as I do reading about it.  However, I know something that the witnesses to it did not understand at the time.  I know that the resurrection happened.  While I can feel sorrow that Jesus was tortured and died as he did, I can feel joy knowing that he did not let death defeat him.  And because of him, we no longer need an intermediary between us and God.  The curtain tore and we are free to have a direct relationship with the One True God. 

Beyond understanding.  Beyond comprehension.  Amazing love.   Alleluia Alleluia

No comments: