Saturday, June 18, 2011

Book Review - Jesus, My Father, the CIA, and Me by Ian Morgan Cron


If all memoirs were like this book, they may be the only genre I would read.  This book captured my attention with its title.  I kept coming back to it.  Jesus and the CIA, I finally decided I had to know the connection.  Ian Cron’s memoir is a look into the life of a child growing up with an alcoholic father and the impact it has on decisions, emotions and faith.  The famous words of review that have been used time and again – “I laughed, I cried” – well, I laughed, I cried, I prayed.  Moments in the book will speak to you, touch you to the core and make you chuckle.  The memoir is told honestly but at times with humor that makes you wonder at its very presence.  

There were several ideas in the book that I just wanted to write down and stare at, considering them in more detail.  One of them was “Life always comes down to who’s driving.”  It made me think of signs I’ve seen that say “If God is your co-pilot, you’re in the wrong seat.”  Who is driving your life?  One of the others was “Love always stoops.”  God’s love and the love we are meant to develop and show to others is a humble love, a servant’s love.  “Love always stoops.”  I think I’ll remember that one.

This book was a quick read because it was so intriguing and enchanting, pulling you into Ian Cron’s life as if you were there with him.  I have to give a small shoutout to Book Sneeze because if it weren’t for their site, I may never have found this book or decided to read it.  And that would have been regrettable. I highly recommend this book.

No comments: