Friday, August 31, 2012

Book Review:Why God Won't Go Away by Alister McGrath


I have to admit, I had never heard of the New Atheism until I read this book and, while I am not a scholar and this movement may have been relevant at some point, it does not seem to have been relevant enough to make it into the mainstream or be a vocal part of it now.  I enjoyed the book in that I learned quite a bit.  While the book was easy to read most of the time, it felt like it was a little repetitive.  The author makes good points and has convincing arguments against this movement, but to be honest, I’m not sure why anyone bothered with them.   They don’t seem to have a point other than people who believe in anything other than what they believe in are stupid.  I get the impression that they are the bullies from school that never did anything worthwhile with their lives and our now trying to bully people into following them.

If you are aware of this movement and want to read arguments against it, then this is a perfect book.  The author is highly intelligent and the book is well written.  Even if you want to learn about the New Atheism, this is definitely a good book to read.  Maybe given my belief in God, I just find them more sad than threatening so while I found the book interesting, I also had a hard time focusing from time to time.

No comments: