Monday, August 20, 2012

Book Review: The Mormonizing of America by Stephen Mansfield


I was eager to read this book for several reasons.  Within the last couple of years I had met the author at a benefit and had wanted to read one of his books, but had not yet decided which one.  When I got the opportunity to read this book, with its timely subject matter, I jumped at the chance.  I have looked into the Mormon faith before, having read other books, but wasn’t sure if what I was reading was well researched or written more for sensationalism.  I trusted that this book would be researched and hoped to get a look inside the Mormon religion.

As I had hoped, this book was well written, easy to understand and very engaging.  The author writes in fairness and empathy.  I learned a considerable amount about not only the Mormon religion but also the traits that give them their drive and determination.  Sometimes when you don’t know or understand a people, culture or religion there’s a tendency to be fearful or uneasy.  I have felt like that at times about the Mormon religion.  However, having learned through this book, it no longer makes me uneasy.  Although I do have to say that I thought the book might  clarify some of the crazier things that I had read, and not only did it affirm what I already knew about the religion, it added more elements to further cement my feelings on the topic.

All in all, it was a great read and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn from an unbiased source. 

No comments: