Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Conversation with Rahm

Rahm Emanuel was at my train station today.  I have to admit, when I saw him from across the street, I actually walked around the station to avoid walking past him.  I didn't really want to shake his hand.  However, once I got around the station I realized I was passing up an opportunity to give him a chance to explain the sales tax issue - maybe I've been wrong,  maybe he really does have a plan he can explain without vague references...maybe we're going to have a sunny day with temperatures in the 60s today too.

When I turned around to go back he was trying to get my attention to shake my hand so I told him I had a question for him regarding the tax issue.  He was fine with that and started going into his single mother..yada yada yada...luxury planes.  So I interjected with, yes but what about everything in between?  What else is going to be affected?  He mentioned working with the legislature but then started the speech again.  So I asked him again what about everything in between?  (I mean, I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone that owns a plane.)  He said it would have to go to the legislature.  I confirmed that the idea would have to go to the state legislature and he said, yes, that's why I say that we will have to work on it.

I'm sorry, I don't think our state legislature is really going to help our cause here.  I would rather have a mayoral campaign based on something that the future mayor can do on his own, perhaps needing to work within the confines of the city government to get things done.  I'm not opposed to the mayor working with the state but don't hinge your campaign on it.  Because in my eyes, that means nothing.

His final comment was "You asked for someone who would tell you the truth."  I was trying too hard not to giggle at this point, so I could not say anything except thank you.  Really?  I live in Chicago, Illinois.  The last thing that I'm expecting is a politician to tell me the truth.  And in any case, I don't think I'm going to get the truth from Rahm Emanuel.

No comments: