Thursday, February 10, 2011

I think it's time everyone come to their senses

Emanuel rips Chico in first negative ad
Sorry, but anyone who believes this sales tax issue of Rahm's is a good idea has not thought this through.

1) He says that his sales tax "decrease" should save the average family $200/year.  That's $.55/day.  I understand $200 is money... if someone handed it to me all at once I'd be happy, but I don't think that's even something we're going to notice.  However, that $200/year is going to cost the city $45 Million dollars.  I don't know if anyone's heard, but the city is pretty much cash strapped.  I'm not sure there's a cost/benefit there.

2) As I've said before, Emanuel can't tell us what is going to be considered a "luxury" item because it will be in the hands of the Illinois legislature.  I'm sure that fine establishment will have only our best interests at heart.  Really.  There is no way of knowing how much more we'll be paying when these new taxes hit.  None.  No one knows.  What are the chances it's going to be more than the $200 we're supposedly saving?  My guess is pretty good.  

But then it's a guess.  If Rahm can do it, why can't I?

No comments: