Sunday, January 24, 2010

Acts

I love Acts because I love hearing about the beginning of the Church.  I also love it because Luke, the author of Acts, tells of Paul's conversion.   That is probably one of my favorite parts of the Bible...but I don't want to get ahead of myself since we're only in Acts 2 at the moment.

The Holy Spirit has descended upon them and they are speaking different languages.  Although some realize they are speaking foreign tongues, others think they are drunk.  Peter refutes this and reminds the people what was told to them by the prophet Joel.  "In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people.  Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, you old men will dream dreams,  Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy." Acts 2:17-18.

Peter then goes on to tell them that Jesus of Nazareth was their savior and reminds them that they put him to death.  "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this:  God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ"  When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"  Peter replied, "Repent and by baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.  And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."  Acts 2:36-38

Three thousand were converted that day.  And it begins.  What an exciting time!

No comments: