Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mark 8

Once again I have learned something new.  Another admission, I did not understand "Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and of Herod" in Mark 8:15 before.  I didn't understand that "yeast was often a symbol of evil or corruption"..or that it "represented an invisible, pervasive influence". (Commonly Misunderstood Bible Verses by Ron Rhodes)  It makes sense though, yeast in bread acts as an invisible, pervasive influence to make the bread rise... okay, it's not actually invisible when you add it in (I'm guessing, I never make bread), but it is pervasive.  As was the hypocrisy and non-belief of the Pharisees, which is what Jesus was warning against.   I knew He wasn't talking about actual bread, but I wasn't sure what He was referring to.  

My favorite part of Mark 8 is something Jesus says "If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it.  Bit if you give up your life for my sake and for the sake of the Good News, you will save it.  And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?  Is anything worth more than your soul?"  Mark 8:35-37

Isn't it interesting that even when you believe and you try to live the life that God intended you to live, you  (and me!) still hang on to things of this world?  Even when we know that we have to let go of this world to gain the next?  Is anything worth more than your soul?  Anything?  It seems like a no-brainer, but it is sure hard to live by...even when you believe it with all your heart.

No comments: