Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hebrews

I've learned something new reading Hebrews.  It's like when you have read things a few times and it then all of a sudden something clicks?  From the Old Testament we know that the high priests were from Aaron's line, the line of Levi.  Jesus, the highest of High Priests, came from the line of Judah.  "Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed."  Hebrews 7:16

One of my favorite verses in Hebrews is 10:14 "For by that one offering he forever made perfect those who are being made holy."  We are the "those who are being made holy".  That is awesome.  I know He has his work cut out for him, but to know that we are being made holy is, quite frankly, hard to get your mind around.  At least it is for me.   I know myself and it would defintely take an act of God to make me holy, and that's what we are getting - an act of God.  No one can do that by themselves.

Another verse that I found inspiring was "And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near."  Hebrews 10:25   I, like many, used to think that I could pray to God anywhere and didn't really need to be in Church to do it.  While this is true, God calls us to join together on a regular basis.  I only became aware a few years ago how special that could be if you found the right "church home".  I was never sure I wanted to be in a church where people would actually notice your comings and goings.  But what really bothered me, I've since figured out, was that accountability.   Who wants that?   It's not a matter of want, though, it's a matter of need.  I need that.  And I have to say that I love having a "church family".  I NEVER understood that concept before.  I do now and I am very appreciative of my church family.  I love them all. 

No comments: