Sunday, October 02, 2005

Let's start with the hard stuff

I was going to try to start with the basics, but realized that there really are no basics in Revelations. At least not in my opinion. Trying as I am to understand the Catholic faith, I am interested to see other points of view. Although I would be equally happy if someone would explain the Catholic viewpoint to me.

Here's a quote from the Catholic Study Bible. Revelation 20,12-15.

"The dead were judged according to their deeds, by what was written in the scrolls. The sea gave up its dead; then Death and Hades gave up their dead. All the dead were judged according to their deeds. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the pool of fire. (This pool of fire is the second death.) Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the pool of fire."

Okay, here's my quandary. If we are awaiting the second coming to determine if we are in the book of life, and that decides whether we are saved or "thrown into the pool of fire" why are we "Catholics" taught that when you die you go to Heaven or Hell? (And if I have gotten that wrong, I'm sorry Dad, but I'm pretty sure I got that much.)

Now, I have to say that I believe in spirits. I have seen two and there is nothing that is going to convince me that I have not. So. If we remain in our graves and our spirits or souls do not go anywhere when we die, how do I explain the spirits that I've seen? My own personal problem I guess, but if you'd like to comment on the real question of the post, please feel free.

I am no where near an expert on religion and am pretty much just looking for answers like everyone else. I'm willing to listen to anyone's ideas, but I will not abide intolerance on my blog and you will be deleted and or blocked if it happens. This is obviously not meant for those of you already reading my blog, but for others that might wander onto it from a google search or other method.

5 comments:

Libby said...

wow, mary! i think you got the explanation to end ALL explanations! i love to learn stuff about religion, since i was never raised in one.
BoUnCeS!! LibbY!

Mary said...

Okay Cynthia, you know you're going to make me take notes on your comment in order to comment myself. I might actually break it down into different post topics since we covered alot.

Either way, I have some work to do tonight, but I'll try to get to at least part of it before I fall asleep.

Chris, if you're out there reading, feel free to chime in.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the below - Catholicism, Christianity, Judaeism, and more I'm sure do not account for spirits hanging around here in our plane of existence bothering humanity - it's actually counter to the teachings of these religions - it screws up the equation. So - having supposedly seen them (and I said "supposedly" on purpose! :-) ) you have more than one quandry...

"Now, I have to say that I believe in spirits. I have seen two and there is nothing that is going to convince me that I have not. So. If we remain in our graves and our spirits or souls do not go anywhere when we die, how do I explain the spirits that I've seen? My own personal problem I guess, but if you'd like to comment on the real question of the post, please feel free."

That's it for now - low on time & sleep.

-C

Mary said...

I have alot of quandries, too many to post. And did I say the spirits were bothering me? I don't believe so.

Anonymous said...

Well - true enough. Change "bothering" to the present participle of your choice. :)