Tuesday, January 24, 2006

And I thought it was just us...


Jesus Christ's Existence is Going on Trial this week

"Viterbo, Italy, north of Rome, is the venue where Rev. Enrico Righi is being sued by his childhood friend, atheist Luigi Cascioli, for deceiving people into thinking Jesus was an actual historical figure."

"...claims the priest violated local laws against deception when he stated in a 2002 parish gazette "that the historic figure of Jesus was the son of Joseph and Mary (two totally imaginary characters and therefore historically non existing [claims Cascioli]); of having the same Jesus been born in the village of Bethlehem and of having grown up in Nazareth."

"Cascioli declares he is not intent on having the matter be decided by a court of law, saying, "I wrote to [Righi] an open letter, stating that I would withdraw the lawsuit if he were capable of supplying proof, just one proof, of the historical existence of Jesus."

My faith has been restored in the American people this week. The Italians are making us look good in the frivolous ( and very stupid) lawsuit category. Which somewhat saddens me, being half Italian. I just want to bounce this guy's head against a wall.

Can we start with the fact that the statement in question was published in a 2002 parish gazette? It wasn't in a public newspaper, it was in a journal that presumably parishioners -read BELIEVERS- would be reading. Then I'm going to hop to the fact that it was a 2002 publication. It's 2006, did this priest tick you off or do you just not have a life? Oh, and then there is the whole Catholics are not the only believers in Jesus Christ, is this a personal vendetta against the church? Maybe you got knocked in the head too many times by the nuns growing up? And then the most important aspect in my opinion, when did religion stop being about faith vs. fact?

Ugh. I hate people.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, you had it right the first time. Be happy that we haven't had a lawsuit like that yet. Now me, I got a good giggle out of that!

Libby said...

that DEFINITELY sounds like an American lawsuit! next thing you know, somebody there will be suing 'mamma' cuz she fed them too much when they were little, and they grew up fat...

Anonymous said...

Libby LOL!

Mary said...

Libby if that happens, I'm sure that it will be because they've been reading our newspapers!

Hey! Where's my resident Italian? Okay, that might be too vague given my family - Roddy... care to pipe in? You wouldn't sue your mama over her meatballs, would you? :)

Weebs said...

First of all I'm Sicilian which make you half. Second this just goes to prove all the loonies didn't migrate here. (That includes lawyers)

Mary said...

Weebs, you aren't half Sicilian according to Grandma. She said that Grandpa's family was from the mainland. And last time I checked Sicily was in Italy so wouldn't that still be considered Italian? :P

Weebs said...

Sicily is Sicily. We don't cotton to the northern loonies. And I'm not sure about my fathers family. I was always told they were also from Sicily. I guess I'll just have to dig up the info. But to answer your question yes we are Italian with a Sicilian flavor :-)

Anonymous said...

LOL,I would not sue my Mama for any reason Mary,I have FAITH and TRUST in the FACT that she would skin me alive for even thinking about it! How can anyone sue another for decieving someone else? Who can sue when it is someone else's right to decide what they believe? It is their choice. He needs to sue himself for decieving himself. LOL He puts the "M"in MORON.