Saturday, January 14, 2006

Sudan wants leadership of AU

Okay, I'm taking a breather from Iran. It's pretty dominant in the press right now, so I think I can skip it long enough to rant over my other hot spot. Why these are my hot spots I'm not sure, but they are.

Sudan hopes to head AU.

"Sudan said on Saturday it believed it was entitled to take the chair of the African Union after a summit it is hosting this month, but acknowledged its prospects were unclear. "

I almost gagged when I heard this on the radio - WTF? This is complete insanity considering what has been going on there.

"Rights groups question how Sudan can act as Africa's ambassador when it is in the international firing line over its military campaign in the Darfur region -- a conflict that has caused one of the world's worst humanitarian crises and prompted U.S. accusations of genocide."

"With 7,000 AU troops monitoring a tentative truce in Darfur and AU-mediated peace talks progressing, albeit slowly, many including Darfur's rebels say there would be a conflict of interest if Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir became AU chairman."

Ya think? That's putting it mildly. I'm really hoping that common sense rears it's head here. This could be one of the worst decisions if the Sudan gets leadership of the AU. I've been very happy with the AU, I love that Africa created it's own union to take care of it's own problems. And they do seem to react without the 12 years of preparation it takes the UN to react - if it does. But to hand it over to a government that will probably misuse their power is going to be a travisty to this organization - at least in my opinion.

No comments: