Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Self Appointed Iran Watcher


"We got a telephone call from the Culture Ministry that said we have no permission to continue printing our paper," said Asia spokesman Navid Jamshidi. "Officials have given no reasons. We don't know why our paper has been ordered closed."


Iran bans Western Music

"... the official IRAN Persian daily reported Monday that Ahmadinejad, as head of the Supreme Cultural Revolutionary Council, ordered the enactment of an October ruling by the council to ban all Western music, including classical music, on state broadcast outlets."

It's year-end and in my field that's a very busy time of year, so I'm not sure how much I'm going to be posting for the next few months. However, having said that, I thought I'd take a look at how my pet nuisance has been doing. Should we take a poll to see how long it's going to take for Iran to become an explosive issue?

I was heartened to see that there was some pro-democracy outlets there. I'm just hoping that even though they cannot be heard any longer, they will fight for their beliefs as they continue to be trodden upon.

5 comments:

Libby said...

Mary...say it, say it, for God's sake!! "Off with their heads!" C'mon! SAY it! Better yet...ORDER IT!!

Anonymous said...

Hey... I got to your blog from HH6. I'm "Kate". Boredom took over and I clicked my way to your dad's blog and saw he was from Evergreen Park, IL. I grew up there! Went to Holy Redeemer and Mother McAuley...are you from that area? PM me on HH6 if you can...

Gary said...

Mary. Thanks for visiting my blog That's Kitty Kat No-Name. I have a post about him in my December archives. I hope you like it.

Mikki Marshall said...

Banning arts and culture to spite Western Civilization only hurts their own people. I can't even imagine being stripped of things that bring such beauty to a land with so little. People that needs an escape from their reality even if it is in the form of a five minute concerto.

Mary said...

Kate- sent a PM.

Mikki- I completely agree. But the leadership doesn't really seem to care about their own people at the moment. I just hope that if change comes, it comes from within.