Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Katrina story that stood out for me

"In the chaos that was Causeway Boulevard, this group of refugees stood out: a 6-year-old boy walking down the road, holding a 5-month-old, surrounded by five toddlers who followed him around as if he were their leader.They were holding hands. Three of the children were about 2 years old, and one was wearing only diapers. A 3-year-old girl, who wore colorful barrettes on the ends of her braids, had her 14-month-old brother in tow. The 6-year-old spoke for all of them, and he told rescuers his name was Deamonte Love."
This was a story that really struck me and put me on a emotional rollercoaster ride. Yesterday I read about this and was taken by the strength and bravery in this little 6 year old. I did not have the whole story though and within a few hours the fact that the children were alone hit me full blast and I became outraged at the parents for leaving the children... who in their right mind isn't holding on to their children as tight as they can during a natural disaster?
Then I found the full story today on a military spouse website I frequent...

"The water wasn't going down and they had been living without light, food or air conditioning for four days. The baby needed milk and the milk was gone. So she decided they would evacuate by helicopter. When a helicopter arrived to pick them up, they were told to send the children first and that the helicopter would be back in 25 minutes. She and her neighbors had to make a quick decision.It was a wrenching moment. Williams' father, Adrian Love, told her to send the children ahead.....The helicopter didn't come back. While the children were transported to Baton Rouge, their parents wound up in Texas...."

I cannot imagine the hell that these parents went through not knowing where all their children were and what was happening to them. Talk about hell on top of hell. I'm very glad that they were all reunited. I would have been out of my mind.

3 comments:

Libby said...

mary, thanks for this! can i ask, where is your husband now?
LibbY!

Mary said...

Libby, I sent you an email. :)

kimmyk said...

I would have been out of my mind with worry and fear.

I can't think bout this too long...makes me fidgity.